Job Description: Café Training Assistant
Team Domenica is a Brighton-based charity supporting young people with learning disabilities – our candidates – into paid employment. We create futures for the young people we support, helping them to discover their full potential, live happy fulfilled lives, and feel included within the local community. Café Domenica provides in-house work placements to our candidates and offers a perfect opportunity for them to learn new skills, build confidence and develop workplace knowledge in readiness for employment.
We are looking for Café Training Assistants to work across all our Café Domenica sites to cover shifts Mon-Sat as required. Ideally, you will be a great all-rounder with strong barista, food preparation and customer service skills. We are looking for confident and friendly individuals with a can-do attitude who are reliable, flexible and committed. Your hospitality experience will help to develop the workplace knowledge of our candidates and cement their training with practical experience.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee and carry out training session with candidates, helping them gain independence and confidence across all areas of the café – barista, till, customer service, food prep, baking.
- Be an ambassador for their training and work openly with education staff.
- Keep candidates safe and adhere to Charity’s Safeguarding Policy.
- Communicate effectively and have empathy with candidates with a diverse range of learning needs.
- Ensure all candidates are treated with equal respect and compassion.
- Make sure candidates adhere to food hygiene standards and perform tasks safely.
This list of duties should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive as the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities.
Depending on their roles, our staff can be required to work on a range of different sites across Brighton and Hove.
Café and customers
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for customers and encourage their continued use of the café.
- Prepare and cook food in accordance with the manager’s specifications in a safe and hygienic manner.
- Ensure that the café is clean, well-stocked and well presented at all times.
- Adhere to the daily, weekly and monthly cleaning rota for the kitchen and café and update the Food Safety (SFBB) diary daily.
- Protect the health, safety and wellbeing of all staff and customers.
- Develop positive and direct relationships with all candidates, staff, volunteers and customers.
- Take responsibility for the constant quality of our products.
Requirements and Person Specification
- Experience in hospitality/catering and a willingness to transfer knowledge and skills.
- Barista training is preferable but not essential
- Knowledge and/or experience of working with young people with learning disabilities is preferable, but empathy and understanding are essential
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask, be adaptable and swap duties often at short notice
- Respect to diversity
- An engaging and friendly personality with a positive can-do attitude
Hourly rate: £11.60
Working pattern: 8 hours day shifts, as required during the week Monday to Saturday
Contract type: Permanent, part-time
Start date: ASAP
To apply for this position, please your current CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Team Domenica is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all.
We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
As part of our recruitment process, Team Domenica collects, stores and processes personal data relating to job applicants.
Shortlisted candidates will be emailed a Team Domenica Application Form to complete and return prior to interview as part of our Safer Recruitment policy.
Please refer to our Safer Recruitment Policy for information regarding all of the steps in our recruitment process and to find out more about how we use and protect the information you provide.