Do you want to work in a supportive organisation whilst playing to your strengths, gaining job satisfaction and doing something where you can make a real difference? Join us as a Training Mentor and help us to continue to lead the way in supported employment.
Training Mentor (Term-Time Only)
Job Title: Training Mentor (Term-Time Only)
Team Domenica is a social enterprise charity helping young adults with a learning disability find and retain work in their local communities. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to feel valued, be included as members of society, and reach their full potential.
About the Role
As a Training Mentor you will help Team Domenica’s candidates to discover their career potential, to develop their workplace knowledge and practical work skills in readiness for paid employment in line with our curriculum model and develop their confidence and independence as young adults in all our environments, including our day service.
You will also contribute to our unique training environment by working in our cafes and other
venues, and at our various events. Your work will be varied and flexible, and therefore a reflection of
the candidate journey at Team Domenica.
Please note, this position is for Term-Time Only.
Responsibilities and Duties
Your working week will be a mixture of regularly scheduled sessions, along with some cover in response to operational needs.
Under the instruction of the relevant Leads for Team Domenica and supervised by the relevant managers and teachers, you role will include:
- Oversee and carry out training session with candidates, helping them gain independence and confidence across all areas of our café curriculum, including barista, till, customer service, food preparation and baking.
- Support individuals and small groups in classroom, training, day service, coffee roastery and enrichment environments according to plans devised by the teaching and training team and in line with the outcomes devised for each candidate.
- Use the ‘Systematic Instruction’ training method to train all candidates working in Café Domenica and the workplace. If required, training will be provided on Systematic Instruction.
- Contribute to the curriculum planning including target setting.
- Maintain awareness of candidate’s Education, Health and Care Plans and contribute to regular reviews as required.
- Support candidates in external work experience placements, and, where necessary cover for job coaches at supported internship placements
- Support independent travel and pedestrian training to candidates.
- Deliver, support and record bespoke interventions such as those devised by the Speech and Language and occupational therapists.
- Monitor and evaluate candidates’ progress across sites.
- Provide pastoral support in line with plans and guidance written by the team at Team Domenica
- Under direction of appropriate colleagues, provide mentoring to individual candidates to enable them to become independent, to learn to evaluate their own progress and development, and to set appropriate targets.
Your main responsibility will be mentoring young people. At times you will also be asked to work in our training cafes, where your role will include the following.
- Prepare, cook, and serve food and drink in accordance with the manager’s specifications in a safe and hygienic manner.
- Protect the health, safety and well-being of candidates, staff and customers and show an understanding of current legal requirements, especially with regards to food hygiene
- Support café manager to open or close café on occasion when candidates are not on site.
- Support café managers to provide excellent customer service.
- Support café managers operationally in the daily, weekly and monthly cleaning rota for the kitchen and café and upkeep the Food Safety (SFBB) diary daily.
- Handle cash, payments cards and financial information.
This list of duties should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive as the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities.
Depending on their roles, our staff can be required to work on a range of different sites across Brighton and Hove.
Requirements and Person Specifications
This opportunity will suit someone who has the following:
- A genuine willingness to engage, support and empower our learners – ESSENTIAL
- Ability to work unsupervised – ESSENTIAL
- Ability to keep accurate reports – ESSENTIAL
- Working knowledge of MS Office – ESSENTIAL
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills – ESSENTIAL
- Excellent organisational and problem-solving ability – ESSENTIAL
- Respect to diversity – ESSENTIAL
- Safeguarding awareness – ESSENTIAL
- Knowledge and experience of working with young people with ASC, SLD and MLD – DESIRABLE
- Experience of supporting young people in the workplace – DESIRABLE
- Knowledge and experience of the catering and hospitality – DESIRABLE
Salary: £20,285 per annum TTO (FTE £24,000 per annum)
Working hours: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Contract type: Term-Time Only, 39-week academic term
Start date: 18th September 2023
Closing date: 3rd September 2023
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and your current CV to: HR@teamdomenica.com.
Team Domenica is dedicated to providing an inclusive working environment that encourages diversity and equal opportunities for all. We are committed to supporting a team that is representative of a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
Shortlisted candidates will be emailed a Team Domenica Application Form and a voluntary EDI Survey to complete and return prior to interview as part of our Safer Recruitment and EDI policies.
As part of our recruitment process, Team Domenica collects, stores and processes personal data relating to job applicants.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a successful Enhanced DBS check as part of our onboarding process.
Please refer to our Safer Recruitment Policy for information regarding all of the steps in our recruitment process and to find out more about how we use and protect the information you provide.